Recognizing that food insecurity has negative health outcomes, SNAP Rx strengthens the connection between health care institutions and hunger relief organizations. Through SNAP Rx, we connect health care providers with crucial food and nutrition resources to help patients better prevent and manage chronic and diet related illnesses.
SNAP Rx connects food insecure Minnesotans with help applying for federal nutrition programs, the emergency food shelf network, and local efforts to combat hunger. The program also offers Continuing Medical Education credits to health care staff that complete our Food Insecurity and Older Minnesotans module. To learn more about SNAP Rx, call us at 651-789-9850.
Studies, papers, and articles about screening for food insecurity, intervening successfully, and patient outcomes.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has adopted a simple two question screening for food insecurity:
- Within the past 12 months, we worried whether our food would run out before we got money to buy more. (Yes or No)
- Within the past 12 months, the food we bought just didn’t last and we didn’t have money to get more. (Yes or No)
The USDA has also developed screening tools for food insecurity:
Continuing Education Module
Take the “Food Insecurity and Older Minnesotans” module for Continuing Medical Education credits.
For more information on SNAP Rx, Federal Nutrition Programs, and other food resources call the Minnesota Food HelpLine at 1-888-711-1151 or visit www.mnfoodhelpline.org
The Minnesota Food HelpLine is on-call to answer patient’s questions about food and hunger resources, screen them for eligibility and provide application assistance. Listed below are the programs and organizations in Minnesota fighting hunger:
- Minnesota Food HelpLine – Contact our HelpLine over the phone or online for information on the following programs: SNAP, WIC, NAPS, Meals on Wheels, discount grocery programs, food shelf locations, congregate dining/on-site meal sites, LINHEAP, Tax Prep, and more.
- Cooking Matters – Learn to stretch your food budget without sacrificing healthy options.
- Farmers Markets UMN Extension Map – Find the closest farmers market accepting SNAP and participating in Market Bucks matching programs
- MNSure / Portico – Need help navigating healthcare? Portico and MNSure can help.